2 20.00%
  • VisiWave Site Survey

3 30.00%
  • Other

2 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Wireless WiFi Site Survey Software

Question Top Wireless WiFi Site Survey Software

What is your favorite Wireless WiFi Site Survey software?

I chose this top list of vendors due to my minimum specs a site survey tool must have:
    - Be able to save data.
    - Executive Reporting.

This is my very limited 2 week testing and research in this field. Please let us know what your experience is with wireless site survey software, and what you prefer. Thanks!

(AIRMAGNET)
    http://www.airmagnet.com
    - Costs around $3,346
    - Seemed a little clunky.
    - Complicated
    - Multi-floor support.
    - Custom reporting.

(EKAHAU SITE SURVEY)
    http://www.ekahau.com/
    - Costs $3,995.00 + optional $719 for 1 Year Support
    - Extremely accurate AP location system, especially in small floor plan surveys.
    - Does not support 64-Bit OS (as of 05-30-2010). 64-bit coming soon.
    - Automated reporting.
    - Simple interface.
    - Includes AP planning features, that other survey software lacks.
    - Multi-floor support.
    - Has phone & email support.

(VISIWAVE SITE SURVEY)
    http://www.visiwave.com
    - Costs $549
    - $139 to upgrade to newer versions.
    - Affordable
    - Custom detailed reporting.
    - Supports 64-Bit OS.
    - Lacks true multi-floor support.

(MERITECH WIFI NETWORK SURVEY AND DESIGN)
    http://www.meritechsolutions.com/
    - iSite WiFi Essentials $495.00 or Pro for $995
    - Complicated.
    - Business Headquarters: Kawasaki, Japan

Netsumbler & Ekahau Heat Mapper were Free products we looked at, but did not provide the saving of data, and produce reports we were looking for.
    Last edited by bflores; 05-30-2010 at 02:28 AM.

You should also mention that VisiWave (and I think Meritech) will map spectrum activity. I think this feature is very underrated although I'm very biased.

VisiWave will also export to google earth if you used a GPS to log the data.

We have a feature comparison on our page here:

Site Survey Tools (click comparision)

I have used all 4. And would be happy to honestly answer your questions, so send me a message if you'd like. I do work for MetaGeek, and we do sell the tools but I am not in sales - I do the support.

-Trent

Trent,

When performing wireless site surveys, we have noticed the "Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card" adapter does not release the connected AP from a weak signal to a stronger signal AP, as we walk around or roam. It appears this is by design. If so, should one change their wireless network adapter settings to produce accurate wireless site surveys?

In short, our first test produced inaccurate results, with Visiwave. We connected to the first AP, and walked around a 45 AP site location. The maps showed very low signal strengths in areas we knew there was an AP directly overhead. With further investigation, we noticed a disconnect and reconnect to the SSID every 20 or 30 steps, produced the results we expected.

When we returned to the office, we researched and found the following settings for our Dell wireless card.

(ROAMING DECISION)
    The signal strength value that determines when the Dell Wireless WLAN Card starts scanning for other APs.
    > Optimize Bandwidth. −65 dB
    > Default (default). −75 dB
    > Optimize Distance. −85 dB

(ROAM TENDENCY)
    This property adjusts the roaming thresholds for the Dell Wireless WLAN Card.
    > Aggressive. Roams to APs having a signal strength at least 10 dB greater than the current access point.
    > Moderate (default). Roams to APs having a signal strength at least 20 dB greater than the current access point.
    > Conservative. Roams to APs having a signal strength at least 30 dB greater than the current access point.

(PROPOSED BEST PRACTICE?)
    Can we assume the WiFi Wireless best practice settings for most wireless NICs would be:
    > Optimize Bandwidth. −65 dB
    > Aggressive. Roams to APs having a signal strength at least 10 dB greater than the current access point.

Thanks Trent!

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    You should also mention that VisiWave (and I think Meritech) will map spectrum activity. I think this feature is very underrated although I'm very biased.

VisiWave will also export to google earth if you used a GPS to log the data.

We have a feature comparison on our page here:

Site Survey Tools (click comparision)

I have used all 4. And would be happy to honestly answer your questions, so send me a message if you'd like. I do work for MetaGeek, and we do sell the tools but I am not in sales - I do the support.

-Trent

The hand off from AP to AP will depend on both the wifi card and the Wifi Network. In our cisco wifi network we set the values for which we want a user to move to a newer AP. The key reason for not moving on too soon is that you may be 50-50 between to APs. due to many reasons AP1 could look stronger, then AP could look stronger, but you have not moved. In this case the computer would jump for AP to AP, each time causing a delay in user traffic, so you set the values to hand off once its to low to use (or close to it) rather then a stronger signal.

Also in our Cisco Wifi network, the AP will have different power levels and these will auto change to balance load. ie: 20 Users on AP1 none on AP2. wind up the power on AP2, lower the power on AP1 and some users will jump tp AP2.

This means that the site survay needs to be done knowning the power levels of the APs at the time of suvay.

If you just want a survay of the APs and signal strength, I would do it without being connected to ANY AP, and just keep scanning. This way the WiFi network and network card hand off setting will have no effect.

I've found that once you tell the adapter to not connect to any AP, it will scan sufficiently. I imagine that a proper site survey would first map the signal strengths of all the APs, and then roaming (passive and active scanning). This is something that Ekahau Site Survey does pretty well with their tool set - simultaneously even.

But you are right, if you are actively connected to an access point, it can't scan all of the other channels as quickly while maintaining a connection. A second USB wireless adapter would go a long way here. As far as the specific adapter you are referring to, I haven't used one to give any good advice.

It looks like mwalker beat me to the punch.

A new kid on the block has shown up since this thread was started:

TamoGraph Site Survey

This is made by TamoSoft, the same folks who make CommView for WiFi. TamoGraph worked very well for me. I'd say that it probably beats Ekahau and definitely beats Airmagnet site survey tools in terms of easy of use and AP placement accuracy. The price is good, too. I'd love to see it augmented by the MetaGeek spectrum analysis tools, though.

Thanks for the post, it was very helpful i appreciate it

what branb of wifi are the most speeds have??

track lighting - manufacturing agent - manufacturing china

thanx for sharing this. Its Very Useful. i have more information about wireless adopter change setting on wituners.com
    Last edited by itwiztuner; 07-23-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Is there any wireless website survey software??
    Last edited by elnorastewart; 10-02-2011 at 04:55 AM.