Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Download inSSIDer 2.0 Beta 1

Thumbs up Download inSSIDer 2.0 Beta 1

inSSIDer 2.0 is mostly complete and ready for some testing. Here are links to installers:

32-bit:
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download2-x86

64-bit:
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download2-x64

inSSIDer 2.0 handles 802.11n better (channel bonding, higher data rates, etc. are all displayed correctly), has better GPS support, and adds viewing filters. inSSIDer 2.0 installation does NOT require removing inSSIDer 1.2. Please give it a try and post feedback!

Hi LifeHacker readers
    We enjoyed the article too. inSSIDer 2 does not show hidden SSIDs in the way the article makes it sound. It will function the same way inSSIDer 1 did. Thanks for visiting and enjoy inSSIDer!
    Last edited by MetaGeek; 09-13-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: lifehacker comments.

Initial basic comments...
    - like combined menubar and Start/Stop. Much neater.
    - do not like fonts/ colours of list of networks found. Old one was clearer.
    - list does not show small icon of signal strength any more.
    - colums sorted no longer display up/down icon
    - can you no longer see Time graph and Channel display at same time?
    - first time I tried v2 'Start' did not change to 'Stop', and time display was blank, with incorrect times. But I stopped and restarted it and all seems ok now!
    - News seems irrelevant, and is always shown on startup.
    - no longer displays number of APs on the bottom of the window, which was useful.

Sorry, reading this seems rather negative, but I really do appreciate the time and effort you are putting in to InSIDer!!
    Last edited by mavison; 09-12-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mavison View Post
    Initial basic comments...
    - like combined menubar and Start/Stop. Much neater.
    - do not like fonts/ colours of list of networks found. Old one was clearer.
    - list does not show small icon of signal strength any more.
    - colums sorted no longer display up/down icon
    - can you no longer see Time graph and Channel display at same time?
    - first time I tried v2 'Start' did not change to 'Stop', and time display was blank, with incorrect times. But I stopped and restarted it and all seems ok now!
    - News seems irrelevant, and is always shown on startup.
    - no longer displays number of APs on the bottom of the window, which was useful.

Sorry, reading this seems rather negative, but I really do appreciate the time and effort you are putting in to InSIDer!!
    1. Thanks.
    2. How is the old one "clearer"? The font is the same, only the color is different.
    3. We may add this back. See 5.
    4. This is still a beta, we're working on it.
    5. RSSI sparklines are on the To-Do list. These will be like the ones in Chanalyzer 4/Pro. Think of a mini-timegraph(without time and amplitude labels) next to the RSSI in the data grid.
    6. See 4.
    7. The News tab is to replace the ad from inSSIDer 1. It's not in-your-face like the ad is.
    8. Yeah, I miss this too, we can add this back.

Nice work! just a couple of things:

1. The Vendor field is blank for my TP-Link TD-W8960N. Version 1.2.8.03331 shows it correctly as "TP-LINK Technologies Co., Ltd." The beta is reporting the vendors of the other APs in range (Belkin, Netcomm, Micro-Star) fine though.

2. I am running 300Mbit N with upper control channel set to 11. The beta is reporting Channel as 11+6. Shouldn't that be 11+7?

Otherwise it's working reliably and I have no problem with the new UI layout.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_Man View Post
    Nice work! just a couple of things:

1. The Vendor field is blank for my TP-Link TD-W8960N. Version 1.2.8.03331 shows it correctly as "TP-LINK Technologies Co., Ltd." The beta is reporting the vendors of the other APs in range (Belkin, Netcomm, Micro-Star) fine though.

2. I am running 300Mbit N with upper control channel set to 11. The beta is reporting Channel as 11+6. Shouldn't that be 11+7?

Otherwise it's working reliably and I have no problem with the new UI layout.
    1. Could you send me the MAC address of the AP? You can do this via PM if you don't want the world to see it.

2. Excellent observation, we'll look into it.

6. Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by chiefgeek View Post
    inSSIDer 2.0 is mostly complete and ready for some testing. Here are links to installers:

32-bit:
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download2-x86

64-bit:
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download2-x64

inSSIDer 2.0 handles 802.11n better (channel bonding, higher data rates, etc. are all displayed correctly), has better GPS support, and adds viewing filters. inSSIDer 2.0 installation does NOT require removing inSSIDer 1.2. Please give it a try and post feedback!
    I miss the print to pdf option that was in the other version. Are you planning on getting rid of that? I think that was one of the best features...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    2. How is the old one "clearer"? The font is the same, only the color is different.
    Ok, the fonts for most colums are the same. Perhaps it is just the green on black that I find more difficult to read. But you have changed the font for MAC Address, and I find that horrible to read! But it may just be me.

I have also had an error box a couple of times when clicking on 'Start' which said 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'. But when I try again it works! If I manage to see any pattern I will post again.

I appreciate it is still in beta, but that is useless if no-one comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    1. Could you send me the MAC address of the AP? You can do this via PM if you don't want the world to see it.
    Given that Google are busily publishing our MAC addresses, SSIDs, GPS coordinates and what we had for breakfast to the whole universe, I'm not too fussed about it

Here are the details:
    00: 25: 86: - TP-Link Model No.TD-W8960N (300M Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router) and as I mentioned, the earlier version of inSSIDer shows the vendor fine.

PS. I do have to agree with mavison about the font used for the MAC address column. It is difficult to make out.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

Edit- Spaced out the MAC so the editor wouldn't put a smiley in it :P
    Last edited by MetaGeek; 09-13-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: removed NIC specific details.

Thanks for all the comments, we will fix the MAC address font and vendor stuff.

Some things I noticed:

1. 2.0 requires me to switch to WZC. 1.2.8.0331 does not.

2. Because the 1.2 time curve starts from the left, I can capture the graph annotation along with a short curve. I have to generate a whole 2.0 curve to get it. Example: http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/wifiyagi.htm.

3. I prefer the time curve interpolation in 1.2. Even better would be stair steps that reflect the actual data.

4. Ctrl+Shift+C did not seem to copy the time curve.

Brian