Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: inSSIDer 2: Compatible Wi-Fi Adapters

Default Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN (issue solved)

Dell Studio 1537 with Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN didn't work right with the driver that the Windows 7 x64 installer provided. Both inSSIDer and Chanalizer 4 showed several access points with RSSIs of 0 dBm. The actual symptom was the RSSIs would bounce back and forth between 0 dBm and the proper figures. I did manage to find a driver that solved the problem. Info is below. I hope posting this helps others avoid the same problem. The particular computer involved has a relatively bright display which is a nice feature in the field. On the other hand, the display panel is glossy which is less than ideal. I'm deciding whether or not to make it the new field service laptop. It might be time to retire the old ThinkPad.

Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN (8086:4232 subset 1321 revision 00)
    Driver Provider: Intel
    Version: 14.2.0.10
    Date: 8/3/2011

Default Problem using TP-LINK TL-WN722N

Hi everybody,

I recently acquired a TP-LINK TL-WN722N WiFi adapter and I'm having problem in make inSSIDer 2.0 to use it. I've used inSSIDer over my Laptop native WiFi board with no problem. After installing the adapter's driver, I'm able to connect to the networks in range using Windows 7 native network manager but when starting inSSIDer I see no networks available. I did have seen that some fellows reported having no problem using inSSIDer over this WiFi adapter, so can someone shed some light why might this be happening ?

Thanks !!!

Default Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by kd6tas View Post
    Dell Studio 1537 with Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN didn't work right with the driver that the Windows 7 x64 installer provided. Both inSSIDer and Chanalizer 4 showed several access points with RSSIs of 0 dBm. The actual symptom was the RSSIs would bounce back and forth between 0 dBm and the proper figures. I did manage to find a driver that solved the problem. Info is below. I hope posting this helps others avoid the same problem. The particular computer involved has a relatively bright display which is a nice feature in the field. On the other hand, the display panel is glossy which is less than ideal. I'm deciding whether or not to make it the new field service laptop. It might be time to retire the old ThinkPad.

Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN (8086:4232 subset 1321 revision 00)
    Driver Provider: Intel
    Version: 14.2.0.10
    Date: 8/3/2011
    Also Intel wifi link 5100 AGN, and same problem. After driver update, no more problems.
    (please don´t retire the old ThinkPad, they will never produce laptops like those)
    Best regards and thanks

Broadcom BCM4313 802.11n-Chipset
    ( Internal WiFi-Card of an Asus EeePC 1215P )
    Tested on Win7 and InSSider 2.0 & 2.1
    Works quite well and is on the sensitive side of the adapter collection I have.
    Capabilities: 802.11 b/g/n

Addendum:
    Cisco / Linksys WUSB600N Dualband Adapter
    Works, but is a bit on the deaf side, compared to my other adaptors,
    which is no wonder, given the size of the adapter.
    There is not much room for extensive antenna systems.
    Capabilities: 802.11 a/b/g/n
    Addendum2: It seems, it leaves out some channels on the 5GHz-Band. If I set my Router on a channel
    between 116 to 128, then it doesn't find the signal.
    I do get a different adaptor next week, I then check, if it's my router.
    ( I don't have another 5GHz-AP in reception range. )

Regards
    Nohab.
    Last edited by Nohab; 02-10-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Ok folks, got a new Dualband adaptor, an Edimax EW-7733UnD. However, that one, while good regarding sensitivity and speed,
    is completely unusable for any surveying tasks on 5GHz.
    Reason: It receives only the channels from 36 to 48. My Router was transmitting on channel 140, the Cisco-Stick showed it,
    the Edimax - nothing. The included driver, as well as the original Ralink-Driver ignored blissfully any options set in the drivers
    properties.
    Regarding the Cisco-Stick, it seems, my Router picks up Radar-Noise and therefor refuses to transmit on these channels,
    as it is required by european regulations. (I live in a high-rise building with a clear view of about 100 miles).

Ok, for the list on first entry of this thread:

Broadcom BCM4313 802.11n-Chipset
    ( Internal WiFi-Card of an Asus EeePC 1215P )
    Capabilities: 802.11 b/g/n

Cisco / Linksys WUSB600N Dualband Adapter

Edimax EW-7733UnD
    On 5GHz only Channels 36 to 48!

Just for fun, a sensitivity shootout of my collection:
    The setup:
    My netbook on battery in the kitchen at a south facing window on the sixth floor,
    overlooking the neighborhood + Win7 Pro x86 and InSSIDer in its last incarnation.

1. MSI US300EX with LogiLink 9dBi-Gain-antennas = 67 APs
    2. MSI US300EX with supplied antennas = 57 APs
    3. TP-Link WN721N = 46 APs
    4. Edimax EW-7733UnD with its antenna folded out = 45 APs
    4. Asus EeePC 1215P (Broadcom BCM4313) = 45 APs
    5. Cisco WUSB600ND = 37 APs
    6. Gigaset USB Stick 108 = 36APs

And some info about the Chipsets used in the sticks/adaptors:
    MSI US300EX : Ralink RT2870
    Edimax EW-7733UnD : Ralink RT2870
    Cisco WUSB600ND : Ralink RT3570
    TP-Link WN721N : Atheros AR9271
    Gigaset USB Stick 108 : Atheros AR5523

I have also contacted Ralink about the 5GHz-problem of the Edimax-Adapter.
    Let's see, what comes out of this.

The ALFA awus051NH usb AGN 500mw unit does NOT WORK under Windows 7 32bit with insider 2.1. It does work with my laptops built in Intel 4965AGN however. And yes, windows is set to manage the ALFA and the Intel adaptor was disabled.

I don't think mine is working. My adapter description reads as follows: Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
    No networks come up on InSSIDer except mine! Can anyone help me out? Should I get a new wifi adapter?

working
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 IEEE 802.11b/g/n
    win7 64bit

Default not working :(

Zyxel dual-band NWD-211AN under Fedora 17-x64
    (oh.. it's based on a Ralink RT2870)

System recognizes adapter and it works like a charm, but inssider doesn't connect to it.