Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: inSSIDer 2: Compatible GPS Devices

Hybrid View

Post inSSIDer 2: Compatible GPS Devices

inSSIDer supports most GPS devices that connect to an RS-232(a.k.a. serial or COM) port that support at least NMEA 2.3. Most USB GPS devices emulate a serial port(like COM3) so applications can communicate with them.

GPS devices that are reported to work
    • Garmin
      • GPS II Plus
      • 18x (Not USB version)
      • eTrex Venture
      • GPS 60 (using GPSGate)
    • GlobalSat
      • BU-353 (USB)
      • BU-303 (USB)
    • DeLORME (The USB GPS devices require their Serial Emulator software, which doesn't work on 64-bit Windows)
      • LT-20
    • CanMore
      • GT-730f USB GPS
    • Holux
      • GR-213
      • GPSlim 240 (Bluetooth)
      • GPSlim 236 (Bluetooth)
    • Microsoft
      • Navigation GPS 168 USB
    • Pharos
      • GPS-500
    • QStarz
      • BT-Q1000XT (Bluetooth)
      • BT-Q810 (Bluetooth)
    • i-gotu
      • i-gotu 120
      • i-gotu 200e (Bluetooth)
    • TomTom
      • MK11 (Bluetooth)
    • XUCAI
      • XC-GD75 (USB)

GPS devices reported NOT to work
    • Garmin
      • Nuvi series. (Upon plug in, they enter mass-storage mode)
      • 18 USB. (Does not emulate a serial port to send NMEA data)
        • Does not work out-of-the-box, but it should work using GpsGate
    • TomTom
      • XXL 530S. (Does not emulate a serial port to sent NMEA data)

If you have a GPS device not listed here that works with inSSIDer, please post what GPS you have, including model number and how it connects(USB, Serial, Bluetooth, etc.)
    Last edited by Tyler; 02-04-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Default Garmin 18 USB

I have a Garmin 18 USB. I'm running VHP32 on a SONY VAIO. The OS found the device and loaded the drivers but inSSIDer doesn't show it available in the port dropdown box.

My question is how can I configure Vista or inSSIDer to to recognize the USB connection as a RS-232? Do I have to have a serial connection for inSSIDer to work? Any comments or suggestions are welcome. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by uberguru View Post
    I have a Garmin 18 USB. I'm running VHP32 on a SONY VAIO. The OS found the device and loaded the drivers but inSSIDer doesn't show it available in the port dropdown box.

My question is how can I configure Vista or inSSIDer to to recognize the USB connection as a RS-232? Do I have to have a serial connection for inSSIDer to work? Any comments or suggestions are welcome. TIA
    The Garmin GPS 18 USB does not work with inSSIDer on Windows Vista and 7. This is because the Spanner software from Garmin that converts the Garmin protocol to NMEA doesn't support Vista and 7.
    GpsGate, is not free, but should convert the Garmin GPS protocol to NMEA via a virtual serial port. inSSIDer could then use it for GPS data.

I have a i-gotu 120 GPS logger [http://global.mobileaction.com/produ...ct_i-gotU.jsp] connected to USB and it works on the COM 7 port and it says my al altidude is +57 ;-)

You can add: Holux GPSlim 240 (Bluetooth) to that list.

I am using a tomtom wireless GPS MK11. It connects via bluetooth works fine.

A friend just gave me his old QStarz BT-Q810 (Bluetooth) and it works well - thanks

I am using GPSgate (express version) to run inSSiderV2.0 on a win7 64 bit PC with a Garmin 18 USB. GPSgate reports that the GPS is working, but I cant get displays of Long/Lat. I tried GPSgate (trial version) with a win xp system and GPS gave long/ Lat. On win 7 system inSSider only displays com 3 and com 4, I tried both and neither one yields long/Lat. GPSgate support desk says inSSider is not picking up the correct ports. The Metageek email desk suggested that I post the problem on this forum. HELP!

Hi,

What port does GPSgate expose? If inSSIDer does not list it, you can type the port number in. Also note the baud rate of the virtual serial port GPSgate creates.

If you can find the above info, use a serial terminal program (I use PuTTY) to open the port and see if it can get any data.

Integrated GPS in Nokia 5800 cellphone works fine with ExtGPS and a bluetooth connection. Nokia ExtGPS compatability list:
    http://www.symarctic.com/beta/static...device_support