Thread: How Do I See the Device Finder Tab?

Default How Do I See the Device Finder Tab?

One of the support emails I have been receiving is from users who are curious as to how to use the Device Finder and see the Device Finder Graph tab.

First off, I definitely recommend new Chanalyzer Pro users to check out our Video Library for information on how to use Pro. This question as actually answered in these videos in Trent's 10 Favorite Features of Chanalyzer Pro at about a 1:12 into the video.

But, just for the heck of it, I will outline the steps here (though you should totally check out Trent's videos. They aren't Hollywood quality , but they will help you with learning the in's and out's of Chanalyzer Pro)

So here we go:

1. On the density view, place your cursor on one side of a signal you wish to track down.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.DevFinder.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	653

2. Left click and drag your mouse across the signal.

Name:	2.DevFinder.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	654

3. Release your mouse and a menu will appear.

Name:	3.DevFinder.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	655

4. Select Device finder.

Name:	4.DevFinder.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	656

5. Now go out and have a marry time in your hunt for those interfering devices!

Name:	5.DevFinder.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	657

I'll point out a few other tips in here so we don't confuse anyone.

The device finder takes an average signal level for the frequency range the user selects and graphs it over time. The device finder line graph works primarily with transmissions that have greater than 75% duty cycle.

Tracking down a Wi-Fi device will prove pretty difficult for the following reasons: Wi-Fi is packet based or bursty. It doesn't transmit all of the time so the line graph in Chanalyzer will be filled with ups and downs. Any clients connected with the AP or whatever wi-fi transmitter you are tryingto track are closer to you than the AP is will have higher amplitude levels than the other. Think of it in terms of two people talking at two distances in a hallway. Whoever is closer to you is going to throw off your ability to listen to the person further down the hall.

I recommend using the device finder for narrow band transmitters only. Typically these are the only types you will want to find since they undoubtedly cause interference issues.

Yea, what Trent said