Thread: How To: Change the Channel of Your Wireless Network

Default How To: Change the Channel of Your Wireless Network

For examples of how to change the channel on your ISP-provided router, check out our Knowledge Base! Not sure what channel to change to? Check out inSSIDer 4!

Hi inSSIDer users! Here at MetaGeek, a pretty common question that inSSIDer users ask is, “How do I change the channel on my wireless router?” In this how-to guide, I hope to answer that question for you. It’s not a difficult process, but it isn’t especially intuitive until someone shows you how. In this example, I’m going to use a Linksys wireless router, but the instructions will work for just about any brand and model of router on the market. Things might look a bit different or have slightly different names, but it’s usually roughly the same process. If you get stuck, check with your router’s manufacturer. For the sake of clarity, I’m going to call it a “router,” but it might also be called an “access point.”

Access the Router Configuration Page

Each wireless router hosts a tiny webpage that you can access to configure it. To access the router configuration page:

Either connect to your wireless network, or connect to the router with an ethernet cable
    Note: An ethernet cable works a bit better, because your router will disconnect your from the wireless network for a moment while it switches channels

Open your favorite web browser, and type in one of these addresses:
    192.168.0.1 (Typical for D-link, Netgear, and others, I always try this one first)
    192.168.1.1 (Typical for Linksys and others)
    192.168.15.1 (Typical for Clear/ClearWire and others)
    10.0.1.1 (Typical for Apple AirPort and others)

Even though there are a few different addresses, you can see the pattern. Try changing the second to last number if none of those work

Most routers require a username and password. The Username and Password are usually any combination of blank and “admin". If you can’t figure it out, Google the model number of your router and “password” together.

Find the Wireless Settings Page

On the router that we used for the example, the wireless settings page was easy to find. Usually, you can locate it along the top or the left side, but it depends on the router. In some cases, it’s hidden in another menu. Find the Wireless Settings Page, and navigate to it.

Change the Channel

Use inSSIDer to determine which channel your network should be on. Remember: 1, 6, and 11 are the only three channels that don’t overlap, and putting your network on the same channel as another network is always a better idea than overlapping. Select the Channel you have decided to use, and click the “Save Settings” or “Apply Settings” button, which is usually at the top or the bottom of the configuration page.

Your router will now reboot. If you are connected wirelessly, it might take a full minute for the channel to switch and for your computer to reconnect. Check to ensure that the channel has been changed in inSSIDer. If you can’t figure out a step, or if run into difficulty in general, check with your router’s manufacturer for assistance.
    Last edited by Taylor; 07-22-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    Joel
    MetaGeek Training and Support